Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Your Eyes are Bigger Than Your Stomach"

My mother used to say that to me all the time growing up.  I'd fill up my plate of food and hear "your eyes are bigger than your stomach".  I get it now, but as a child, it made no sense.  I'd look at my stomach, and my eyes were most certainly not bigger than it (especially given I was a bit of a chubkin of a thing)!

Blueberry Pie with Lemon Coconut Whipped Cream
I know I promised a book review in this post, and I'll get to it next, promise.  But, I've been making pies for the last few weeks, and our eldest just loves fruit pies.  I've been thinking of my mom's saying whenever our daughter looks at the finished pies... she has that look in her eyes that she could eat the whole thing!  I've now passed along this saying, explaining how my mom used to say it to me.  Rightfully so, she too thinks it's a strange thing to say!

So, what am I up to with these pies?  Well, I have been intent on creating wheat-free and also gluten-free pie crusts.  Initially, I thought the gluten-free pie crust would be the biggest hurdle.  My first crack was just that - crack!  The crust was hard and dry and crumbly.  Temporarily defeated, I moved on to the wheat-free crust.  I tested both a blueberry filling and apple filling in the wheat-free crusts, both were delish.  The Blueberry Pie was especially good with some Lemon Coconut Whipped Cream on the side (also a new recipe, and I've been terribly hooked on it lately)!

Apple Pie with Gluten-Free Crust
While working through the wf crust, the juices starting flowing for the gf crust.  Impatient as I am, had to test it out - there was still blueberry pie in the fridge, and I tested a Gluten-Free Apple Pie (I had lots of those apples to use up).  It was divine!  The crust is tender and tasty, and with the apple filling is full-out delicious.  I'm still tweaking the wheat-free crust, but am thinking I might still prefer the gf version, because it is darn tasty - and the dough is actually more forgiving, bonus!

All my recipe madness has led to one happy fruit 'n pie filled kiddo, who is determined to eat enough pie to prove me wrong about the eye 'n stomach theory.  Oh, and the other daughter wants no part of fruit pies, go figure - which of course, works out tickety-boo for our eldest ("YES! More for me")!
The genes that you inherit from your parents are not the most important factors in determining whether you fall prey to any of the ten leading causes of death.  (The China Study)

11 comments:

Erica said...

I hope you'll be sharing these gluten free recipes with us!

Brittany said...

My mom used to say that exact same thing. I find that my eyes are often times bigger than my stomach. :)

C.Elizabeth said...

This all look so good! I am always on the lookout for new vegan recipes, so thanks for sharing!

And my mom also used to say the same thing to me... And she probably still thinks it as well. hehe

Mama Motz said...

Both pictures look absolutely divine, and that Lemon Coconut Whipped Cream sounds addictive....

Catherine Weber said...

I share your oldest daughter's opinion -- more pie for me! :)

Jessica said...

Delicious looking pies. I'm glad that I don't have to cook gluten free, but I'm thankful for people like you who "work out the kinks" in gluten free cooking, just in case I have to eat GF one day or meet someone else who does!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Carolyn said...

Oh these sound wonderful :)

Kris said...

It's funny, pie is something I've only learned to appreciate since growing up. When I was a kid, I could have cared less. Now I love it!

Your pies look delicious, I can't wait to see what this mysterious gf pie crust recipe looks like.

Melissa said...

I want that whipped cream!! It all looks delicious.

Blueberry pie with lemon coconut whipped cream?!! said...

Blueberry pie with lemon coconut whipped cream? That looks amazing!!!!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Terrific dessert :-)