Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mac-Oh, Geez!... & Family Oven & Veg Blog

This is not the most colorful photo, I know. Rather beige-ish. But *look* at that sauce oozing out of that one penne noodle in the front!

Comfort food happiness is what this is. I call it Mac-Oh, Geez!. I know, corny. But, I had a hankering to make a casserole style mac'n cheese type of dish. But not with tofu, or nutritional yeast, or tofu sour cream, or anything like that. So, it's not 'cheezy' as such, and more like an alfredo sauce, being creamy, rich, and luscious... and with a crunchy bread-crumb topping (like my mom used to make). It's gooood comfort food.

This one's not in any of my books, and I'm just finishing up this recipe so I'm not able to share it just yet. What the heck am I doing creating more new recipes anyhow? I've figured it's an addiction! Talking with my sister about it I said "I know I should be taking a break, but I can't help myself". She said "it's your creative outlet, you need that". Now, that sounds much better than 'addiction', doesn't it? Big sis set me straight. :)

On to a few other bits... this week you'll see my as the Feature Blogger at Family Oven. You can jump on over for a boo and a read. Thanks for the feature, Family Oven.

Also, Ryan just posted a "Double Dose Of Dreena" review over at Veg Blog. Can you handle a double dose of me?! I joked with Ryan that even my husband can't take that! Anyhow, if you'd like more insight into eat, drink & be vegan (as well as the everyday dish dvd), Ryan shares his straight up and thorough review... thanks again Ryan.

Wanna 'double dose of mac-oh-geez'? Here's another pic...

20 comments:

Jodie said...

Beige or not, that looks absolutely delicious.

Unknown said...

i am officially hungry & really wanna make that. i hope there is a recipe coming soon.....

Leigh said...

Oh my. Look at all that gooey yumminess. I can't wait for the recipe.

aimee said...

Those were a couple of very nice blurbs, Dreena. Now if the folks over at Food Network would realize what a great host you'd make we could benefit even more from your awesome "food wisdom". Oh, and mac-oh, geez? Yummy! I'm really glad you're addicted-I mean creative!

darkfaeriecreations@gmail.com said...

yum...yum.....I'm making some mac and "cheese" for a vegan potluck this Saturday...I hope mine tastes as good as yours looks!

Traci Anne said...

Please please please please please please pleaaaaaase post the recipe! I really miss homemade mac and cheese!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I love the inventive name too. =)

The Little Mama said...

Ah, sweet sweet comfort food. My tummy's grumbling. :)

Ashasarala said...

That looks so good. I've actually been craving baked mac with bread crumbs. My mother used to make a vegetarian kind that I loved but since becoming vegan five years ago, I've found nothing that can match it. Seeing this picture makes me yearn for it!

I do hope you post the recipe soon! Pretty please with sugar on top? :)

Ruby Red said...

Oh, Dreena, the Mac-O Geez looks delicious! I just tried my hand at my first vegan mac 'n' cheese dish recently (Mac Daddy from Veganomicon) and I am eager to explore more! I can't wait for the recipe - the bread crumbs look delectable...

Michelle said...

mmm, i have yet to find a vegan mac n' cheese recipe that i really like... this looks very creamy good! fettucini alfredo was one of my most fave meals in my pre-vegan days, so i can't wait until you post this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Just heard of you whilst looking through Amazon. Your first book is on it's way, the recipes sound delicious. I am a new vegan mom of 2 tiny people (one 2, one 10 months). I have a blog - www.newveganmom.blogspot.com
- and living in Arctic Norway is proving interesting from a vegan standpoint. I have lived with one really good vegan cookbook until now and am learning to adapt what i already know into vegan friendly meals. I am so looking forward to receiving your book and what a great blog! Many thanks!
Jill Forrest

urban vegan said...

The funny thing is...and is the honest-to-God's truth....I never liked Mac & Cheese until I tased a vegan version.


Hey--cooking is your passion. Big sis (is that the one with the same name as me?) was right ;)

Anonymous said...

This looks like the kind of mac & "cheese" that will be hard to share, Dreena!

myrtle said...

That does look good, but I have to post about another recipe... we just had the Pureed Chickpea Pasta Sauce with Fresh Herbs from Vive.

My son is 1 and still is not a big solid food eater but he inhaled this! I've never seen him try to cram handfuls of pasta into his mouth before.

It really was delicious.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought that I had something yummy for dinner tonight. I can't wait for the recipe for this one. It looks and sounds FAB!

Dreena said...

Myrtle, thanks for the note, and you know I'm actually super surprised that your very little one liked that pasta sauce so much!! Just because it's very herbaceous and a lot of kiddies don't go for all those fresh herbs - esp stronger ones like oregano/thyme. Wow!!! Keep givin' him homemade food, he might just be one of those kids that loves mushrooms, onions, and peppers! (unlike my own... sigh) thanks for dropping in with the note.

Anonymous said...

I'm such a sucker for pasta, I don't care if it's beige.

Michael Smith said...

Dreena, I'm recently vegan and trying to introduce veganism to my 10 and 14 year old boys. Any chance of a preview recipe?

Tessonja said...

My friend and I just got done making this an it was completely amazing!!! The sauce was so creamy, reminiscent of an alfredo or stroganoff sauce. And I just want to let you know, your recipes are amazing! I got ED&BV for Xmas 2 years ago, but I was interested in nothing but vegan junk food only and just recently started using it (now that I've discovered the health and beauty of whole grains, whole wheat, spelt, etc.) and your book is now THE cookbook in my life. Thanks so much!