Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cookie Sandwich Ice Cream Cake! (hoo-ahh!)

who-weeee!

I feel like I've been spinning on a carnival ride for the last couple of weeks! It's been capital B-usy. Last week my mom arrived for a visit from Newfoundland, and it was also our eldest daughter's birthday. So, in addition to getting Nanny's room ready for a visit, mommy was also preparing for a birthday and at-home party. Prizes and loot bags and games and ice cream cake and cupcakes to bring to class and the list goes on!

'
Here's the ice cream cake I made for the bday party. I prepped it on Wednesday and kept in the deep freeze until the party. Since Thursday was devoted to making cupcakes for the class to share on Friday (and I made them much like these ones using my Triple Layer frosting and cake recipe), I decided not to bake again on Friday with needing to get the house ready for the party on Saturday. I eased my workload the teensiest bit by making an ice cream cake for the party.

Okay, you know me too well... there was an ulterior motive to making the ice cream cake. Heck, yeah, if mommy is prepping for a birthday party all week, she is certainly going to make her favorite kind of cake - hah! But when time came for the cake, the kiddos loved this, with two layers of different ice creams, chocolate sauce, and two flavors of sandwich cookies! Wanna' know how to make it? It's really simple. Truly, it is! Goes like this:


1) Get a springform pan (ie, the kind used for cheescakes). Line the bottom and sides with the sandwich cookies. You will have to cut a few in half to help them fit. I used the vanilla ones on the bottom and the chocolate along the sides.


2) Have two quarts of ice cream ready, your choice of brand and flavor. Soften one quart (in the fridge or on your countertop), and scoop it into the pan to cover the cookies on the bottom and just cover that layer around the sides. Spread to smooth out as much as possible. Drizzle with chocolate (or other sauce), then pop in the freezer to harden that 1st layer of ice cream again.

3) Once it's hardened, soften the 2nd quart of ice cream. Pull out your pan from the freezer and layer in the second flavor of ice cream. Again, smooth out somewhat, but it's fine if it's a bit uneven... mine was and I liked how it looked!

4) Garnish with extra crumbles of cookie sandwiches and sauce, or other toppings like sprinkles or nuts.

5) Cover well and place back in the freezer until ready to eat. Before eating, remove for 5-10 minutes, then remove the springform ring and place cake on a platter or plate to cut.

Aren't birthdays the BEST?! (nudge nudge, wink wink... hubby, you out there?... you can manage this one for my bday right? wait now, Mother's Day is coming up and oh yeah, I deserve it!)

wait a minute, we all deserve a lil' ice cream cake... go make your own and celebrate whatever you like! Now, go eat, drink & be vegan. :)

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That cake looks absolutely drool-worthy - no wonder it was a hit at the birthday party!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks great! I just made an ice-cream cake for my son's birthday this weekend (my eldest too -- 6 years-old!). I took the cookies and smashed them into crumbs (about 20 cookies) and then mixed them with 1/4 cup of melted Earth Balance (nobody said this needed to be low-cal) and pressed the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Then I covered that layer with chocolate sauce, lined the sides with cookies like you did and let that freeze before adding the ice cream. Delicious and decadent! Love your cookbooks (have them all) and your blog!

Animal-Friendly said...

WOW!! That looks too delicious to resist! Aren't ice cream cakes the best?

Ruby Red said...

yes! ice cream cake goes vegan! this cake would totally make my birthday party - forget the presents!! i can't believe how easy this is. you rock.

Jumbleberry Jam said...

I'm on an ice cream high just looking at this! And you are so right - this Mama deserves this cake in a few weeks :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were able to make ice-cream look so amazing. Tasty and pretty ^_^ *yum* Love this

Anonymous said...

YU-UMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

She's a lucky little one! (I bet mom did not scoff at the cake either- ha!)

Kumudha said...

Wow! this looks great.

Ovolactovegetariana said...

que rico!!!!

=B

Carrie™ said...

OK, that is totally over the top! DELICIOUS!!

Jess said...

I am SO making this! I cannot believe how absolutely delicious that looks... I can definitely see why everyone loved it!

Michelle said...

speaking of birthdays, mine is coming up soon (may12.. i'm gonna be 30!) and i'm throwing a party next weekend. i want to make your coconut cake from edbv, and was wondering if you think it would hold up well as a triple layer cake? or would the layers be too delicate? how long would i bake 3 layers for? i'm making the coconut dream frosting to go with it.. should i just double the recipe for a triple layer cake? does it keep well? i was thinking of baking the cake at least 1 day, maybe 2, before the party.

there will be lots of omnis at my party, and i just want my cake to be extra impressive this year ;)

thanks!

Rose said...

That cake looks so sinfully decadent! I'm almost scared to make it - I'm sure I'd eat it all up!

The Voracious Vegan said...

OH MY GOD, are you kidding me? I'm not going to be able to do anything today, ANYTHING, except think about that delicious homemade ice-cream cake. Ridiculously delicious!

urban vegan said...

Such a temptress, you are...

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

Hello!!! I will be making that this summer for my friends!!

Dreena said...

Hiya everyone! Thanks for all your notes, I always ((love)) to hear from you. xo btw, I thought I had a quart of cookies 'n cream ice cream to use in this cake - but, boo hoo, my freezer played a nasty trick on me. So, I used vanilla and chocolate. But, if you try using other more interesting varieties like cookies 'n cream or dulce de leche (which we don't yet have in Canada), it'd *really* be a wicked thing!

lynda b, sounds like you have my passion for all things ice cream! I would've loved your cake - sounds simply wonderful!!

Dayle, heck yeah, they ARE lucky to have me - I tell them that everyday - ha! (oh, and funny story about mom and the cake, I'll have to e-mail you too. hee, mom is so polite.)

Michelle, I can't believe your are only now turning 30... with 3 kidlets already and such a wise vegan. :) I think the cake would hold up as a triple layer, I'm just not sure you'll have enough frosting to cover all the layers - you might need to double the batch of frosting and then just have a lil extra leftover. For the 3 layers of cake, bake for less time, about 18 mins, and then just check if they're done - I'm presuming they will be done at 18 mins. Good luck... and an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! (welcome to my decade, ha!) btw, got your pics - thank you... *so* adorable!

bazu said...

that looks too amazing for words!

The Veggie Guy said...

Ooohhh... that looks wonderful!

And... my wife just peeked over my shoulder and informed me that I'm making this soon.

*breaks out in nervous sweat*

Thanks for posting this!

Lee

Michelle said...

thanks dreena! i'm so excited!

KT said...

OMG, that is a masterpiece, I want a slice!

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

This is an amazing cake. It has turned out to be a family favorite and I end up making one every couple of weeks for dessert (sometimes more often depending on how many of my son's water polo team members show up to be fed!
I made a slight change to the crust which has turned out to be a great variation. I took your Home Style Chocolate Chip Cookies and while they were still warm, I pressed them into the bottom and sides of the spring form pan. Instant chocolate chip crust!!! And it is quite a beautiful presentation with the cookie crumbles and syrup on top.