Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dreena's Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie was always one of my favorites in pre-vegan days. So I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to create my own version!


I think because I wanted to make a soy-free version. I mean, I enjoy using silken tofu in many creamy recipes, but for pecan pie I knew I needed a filling that was a touch more rich and luscious. So, now I have a soy-free version... and it IS rich and luscious.

I've tested it a couple of times now. The first time I made it more traditionally mixing the pecans in the custardy filling. But you know what? When I bite into that pie, I want the custardy filling to stand apart from the pecans, at least in part. I prefer the pecans with some crunch, rather than plumping and getting softer absorbing some of the filling through baking. So, I make this my signature pecan pie, allowing some pecans to get a touch soft while adding a crunchy sugar-pecan topping.

Hubby's birthday is coming up so I think I'll make this again for our family get-together. I know he wants chocolate cake, so yeah, he'll get that. Guess we'll all be having our cake and eating it (and pie) too!

Need another pic?

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Magnificent!!

VeganCowGirl said...

Looks great Dreena! Lucky hubby!

Nicole said...

Wow, it looks delicious! I've never tried pecan pie..it seems like I am surely missing out!

Sarah said...

Awww... Your post brought back such lovely memories of Whistler, where I met my awesome boyfriend... And then it brought back less lovely memories of trying to find food there! Yikes! It's pretty hard, I'll admit, but there was one place you could do okay- the Mongolian Grill (I think) where you pick your own veggies and they stir-fry them for you. Yum. Anyhow, the pie looks great! Ah, Whistler...

urban vegan said...

Oh baby! That looks so worth the calories.

I have to say off topic, Dreena. I've tried so many hummus recipes. And I keep going back to your Creamy Hummus. It's simply the best.

Carrie™ said...

Wow! That does look really rich - and sweet. Yum!

Animal-Friendly said...

Yummy- your pecan pie looks so much creamier and silkier than the tradition version!

Lenora said...

... did I miss the recipe??? Or are you just torturing us? :D

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow! That looks absolutely perfect. My mom is a huge pecan pie fan, I'll have to make this for her someday!

jd said...

This looks fantastic!

Pecan pie is one of my favorites, too...

Oh, and I have to second Lenora's comment - where the heck is that recipe?! :)

PS Happy b-day to your hubby!

Anonymous said...

That pie looks lovely Dreena - makes my mouth water just looking at it!!

Is this a receipe for a new book by any chance??

Anonymous said...

I love pecan pie!!! I can't wait to see the recipe.

Caroline S. said...

this is excellent...i am definitely going to try this recipe on my father, who grew up on midwestern/southern "comfort food", and resists the idea that vegan recipes can really embody what he's used to. i think this'll prove him wrong once and for all !!

Dreena said...

Thanks everyone.

UrbanVegan, that is most lovely to hear, particularly from your worldly and discerning palate! Thank you, thank you. xo

Lenora and jd... sorry, I know it must be irksome at times to see me post a new recipe - without the recipe! I tend to work on new stuff and post about them with photos before I've even polished off the recipe. Plus, I soon have to determine what I'm going to do with my new recipes. I want to show you new and fun things, since many of you have ed&bv/vive/TEV, but I'm not always able to post the recipes right away. I will try to get some new ones posted soon (like the fit-tucine alfredo). Thanks for being patient!!

(p.s. Carrie, I read your recent post, and thanks a bundle!! And it's the best knowing you enjoy those recipes that much. thanks!)

Judy's Nutrition said...

Oooooh, pecan pie is definitely my favourite. I can't wait to try this version.

x said...

Oooh I love love love Pecan PIe too and I am so glad you have made a vegan version!

TNTknits said...

That looks soooo good. I've been craving a good pecan pie.