Friday, August 08, 2008

Pesto Shell Casserole & Vegan Freaks Interview


So many ways to enjoy pesto. Here I've spooned my Lemony Cashew-Basil Pesto (that I talked about here) into Tinkyada Brown Rice Grand Shells (cooked until tender).

First ladle a layer of your favorite tomato sauce in your baking dish. Then, after filling your shells, finish by ladling more sauce over top of the shells and bake at about 400 degrees until just hot, about 20 minutes. You can sprinkle on some vegan cheese, but really, you don't even need it. The lemon juice and cashews in this pesto give enough of a 'cheesy' flavor. In fact, I recently made a triple batch of this pesto for a large family dinner. My sister's hubby asked what cheese I put in the pesto!! So, forget the cheese topping on this casserole, and serve up portions with a touch of a very good extra-virgin olive oil... simple and delicious, that's all you need.


And... that triple batch I mentioned? Here it is. Enough pesto for you? Almost enough for me! :)

Are you aching for this pesto recipe yet? Well, if you listen to the Vegan Freak podcast, you can get this recipe through their show! (and if you don't listen, go do so! and subscribe to their show! and poke around their forums!)
I'm talking food with Bob and Jenna on this week's podcast, along with Dino Sarma and Joy Tienzo. They include links to recipes, including this pesto and also a chickpea tart recipe for listeners in cooler climates at this time of the year. I'm a big fan of Bob and Jenna's work, and always love to connect and chat with them. Thanks again, Bob and Jenna!

I'll be back again soon... until I do, a reminder to please vote in the VegNews survey if you haven't yet!

17 comments:

Animal-Friendly said...

Oh wow, pesto-stuffed shells! My mouth is watering right now! Yum...I can only imagine biting into a shell and getting a mouthful of delicious lemony pesto.

Heather said...

This is the best pesto I have EVER had! Are we talking gluten free shells, I must find them. YUMMMMMMM

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet!! Vegan AND gluten free! You make my day once again. I'm gonna have to whip up somma that. I wonder though, have you tried freezing the pesto? It would be great to make a batch and keep it in the freezer if I could. I have three boxed of those shells in my cupboard (we stock up when we can find them) and can't wait to give this a whirl! OO, what ever happened to that alfredo sauce you were working on?

Unknown said...

I firmly believe that Tinkyada is the best rice noodle on the market. Love the stuff!

Dreena said...

Gaile, you absolutely can freeze the pesto - I do myself. In fact, I froze several batches last summer so I could have that reminder of summer and glorious basil during the blahs of winter!! :) (p.s. alfredo sauce - nearly done!)

Deb Schiff said...

Gorgeous pesto!

By the way, I made your Super-Charge Me! cookies and raved about them on my Altered Plates blog.

Carrie™ said...

I bought a potted basil plant for cheap-cheap and now it's losing it's lustre. Time to trim I say and pesto sounds perfect. Those shells look delicious! When I have some quiet time, I'm going to listen to you on the podcast.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night. It was/is utterly fantastic. So fresh and creamy and chunky and smooth and garlicky/lemony.
I took a single portion to a dinner (and froze the rest to have later)where everyone else was having meat-sauce spaghetti - can't tell you how many jealous-stares/request-for- the-recipe I got.
Absolutely up there with my all time favorite: "Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Toasted Almonds & Pine Nuts"

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

What a gorgeous, vibrant green!

Brooke said...

I just made this pesto but with spinach instead of basil because I didn't have any. Mmm mmm! It was delicious.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Delicious! I'm always up for a new pesto recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I made this earlier in the week and couldnt decide how to use the leftovers... lo and behold, here is my answer! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, thank you for posting!
New Search Engine for Internet Marketing and Local Business Statistics Free Add URL to 4,000+ Websites & 25,000+ Locals!

Anonymous said...

In this article I will be talking to you about a simple tip that was
--------------------------------------
used years ago for explosive muscle growth, but for some reason it's not used as much these days and it should be!

Anonymous said...

This popular weight training technique was used by muscle building enthusiasts long before you where lifting and even walking for that matter.
--------------------------------------
For it not to be used as much now is a real downer and people are missing out on the results it can bring them. So, follow me and read on below to start seeing more in your muscle building efforts.

Anonymous said...

Now, that’s enough of me babbling on, I guess you wanna here
--------------------------------------
this old super powerful technique this whole article is about.

Anonymous said...

It's a weight training technique that places a huge demand on the muscle, even more so than just lifting a conventional weight.
--------------------------------------
This increased amount of stress on the muscle is what is responsible for delivering increased results in muscle growth.