Monday, October 27, 2008

Sunday Pancakes

Sunday is typically pancake day in our house. Our girls are always extremely excited to know pancakes will be on their plates, and the morning is playful and relaxed unlike school mornings.

These are a new recipe, made with whole-grain wheat-free flours and including Salba seed... hence being named Whole-Grain Salba Pancakes. Most often I use the ground salba - in smoothies, to sprinkle in oatmeal or cold cereals, etc, it's quite convenient to simply add to some foods you eat. But, with the pancakes, I wasn't fussy with the texture that the ground salba contributed, so I used the whole salba seed. I tweaked the recipe a few times, but now have a batter that yields a big ol' batch of fluffy, light pancakes that are very healthy for you.

Now, when you get ready to drizzle some maple syrup over your stack of pancakes, you'd better be using pure maple syrup! I've had people ask if they can substitute imitation maple syrup in my recipes for cookies, etc, where I use pure maple syrup. I say never! Never use imitation maple syrup. Absolutely not in recipes, but also not on pancakes. Imitation maple syrup is full of artificial ingredients and tastes weird. You'll never go back once you try pure maple syrup... and, eventually you'll accept the extra cost, it's well worth it. Watch for when pure maple syrup goes on sale and stock up, okay?! And if you don't have kidlets eating pancakes and drizzling that maple syrup all over their plates, just think how much of that sticky-sweet-mapley goodness you'll actually save - ha! Yes, after pancakes, we have sticky fingers, sticky mapley-scented pj's, sticky kitchen table, the list goes on.

One final note about Salba, here is a pic of some terrific Halloween Salba treats that you might find in your health food store. The treats are actually their rice krispy bars, but in miniature size. A healthy, fun alternative to all the sugary and dairy-laden candy that will be handed out.
(btw, you might be wondering with all the Salba discussion on my blog whether I am sponsored or otherwise compensated by Source Salba. I am not, though I have received some sample products, much like what is offered in the monthly giveaways. I have used the whole and ground seed for some time now, and simply believe it is a healthful addition to a vegan diet. Some of my new recipes will therefore include Salba seed, and I am happy to share any product information that I think you will find interesting, such as these Halloween treats).

17 comments:

A.M. said...

Mmm, those pancakes look delicious. I always wonder when I hear Canadians talk about maple syrup... How much do you have to pay for it? (Just curious how much less it is than I have to pay. :-)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, scrumptious pancakes!!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I had no idea what salba was...thanks for the tip!

Dreena said...

Hi Sanja, maple syrup isn't cheap for sure, but usually we can get a 1 litre bottle for about $18, and sometimes about $16 if there's a good special on. Worth every penny, and not much different than if you buy a bottle of good wine - except it lasts longer, and is better on pancakes - ha!

Dreena said...

oops, Sanja, I meant the maple syrup is usually about $20 (Cdn), and we can get it for about $18 on special... I have no idea what the cost must be in the Netherlands... is it much more?

Green Voice Daily said...

Those pancakes look gooooooood!

Anonymous said...

uh-oh! I might have to try these!! We are hooked on Salba. I've been making your Salba muffins from the Food Network site like once or twice a week. We basically have them for breakfast EVERY DAY. And NO we are SO not getting tired of them. I just took a batch out of the oven about 5 minutes ago, come to think of it! lol! When I have anything else for breakfast now, I just don't feel as good. One little salba muffin keeps me happy until lunch! I wish I could enter the contests but I guess being related has other perks... ;)

Anyway... when the heck is Pancake Day? I say it needs to be SOON!

Dreena said...

Hey sis!! That's so cool, I had no idea you were into Salba, and also SO into those muffins... funny! I'll have to e-mail this Salba pancake recipe to you, and you can be a 'tester'!! btw, congrats on getting your pup - how lovely... how is he (she?) doing?

Anonymous said...

Who do I have to kill to be a pancake tester? Those look seriously awesome. I'm a firm believer that pancakes are the most perfect meal ever. Perfect. And these ones look reeeeeallly good. Can't wait to try them - if they're half as good as the crepes from ED&BV, I'll be a VERY happy vegan camper :)

Janessa said...

I totally agree about the maple syrup... if anyone lives near a Trader Joe's, they have pretty reasonably priced pure maple syrup.


Your pancakes look delcious, and I love the kiwi idea!

Anonymous said...

I would loooove to come over for some salba pancakes... those look delicious!!

Elizabeth said...

Salba sounds like something I should check out! Thanks.

angelacf said...

those look yummy Dreena - I also make some gluten free vegan pancakes using popped amaranth or cooked quinoa - as I can not afford Salba often - but it is fun to make healthy pancakes with all sorts of nutrients & protein in em - plus ABSOLUTELY must be pure maple syrup - I agree!!

A.M. said...

1 litre maple syrup costs around 20 euros here in the Netherlands (so around 30 Canadian dollars). And I still think it is worth every penny (although I would definitely not mind if it became cheaper!).

Anonymous said...

Pancake Day...what fun! You've inspired me to have a pancake day here tomorrow -- my kids will be tickled :)
I have not heard of Salba but now plan to look into it. I use fresh ground spelt for pancakes but the salba sounds great. And so do the muffins your sister mentioned :)

Millie said...

I'm not usually one for big breakfasts but I do like pancakes on a leisurely weekend morning or even for dinner on occasion. I will definitely have to try these. Can't wait for recipes from my other fave breakfast food- waffles!

五路財神寶寶 said...

小吃餐車加盟連鎖「一條龍的創業模式」複製成功開店經驗
更新日期:2009/08/25 17:19

(中央社訊息服務20090825 16:19:17)大環境不景氣,工作難找,有不少人就想乾脆自己創業當老闆。為強化國內創業能量,五路財神開店總部於8月20日-9月20日舉辦「2009夢幻小餐車創業成果展」歡迎蒞臨參觀。針對國內一窩蜂創業加盟潮,餐車達人陳滌五總監提醒創業者,加盟不失為一條創業捷徑,但若選擇加盟,品牌知名度、產品獨特性及是否擁有差異化優勢就顯得格外重要。
近年來以成本低的小吃餐車最受創業者青睞。沒經驗的失業族 大部份都選擇餐車擺攤,最多人都想在創業市場闖出一片天。在台中成立的五路財神開店總部,小吃餐車用品牌方式來營運,總經理陳滌五用自己的經驗來現身說法。以國人創業首選的小吃餐車來說,如何在同質性高的市場中殺出重圍?雖然是路邊攤小餐車,營運上的重要撇步是關鍵;在企業經營戰略中,唯有領先核心競爭,保持差異化優勢才是生存之道。
陳總分享成功關鍵,「五路財神餐車與其他路邊攤最大的差異化,在於餐車外觀亮眼與眾不同的加分效果,及秉持結合好的小吃產品用品牌方式來經營的理念」。總部成立初期因觀察到傳統路邊攤想要爭得一席之地,大多考量商品創新的迷思,卻忽略創業者經營能否持久性的問題。所以五路財神餐車將傳統小吃商品,用創新工法為策略,顛覆傳統路邊攤的概念,長期下來在台灣建立起最多元品牌的餐車王國。
很多創業者最憂心沒經驗,業界首創從餐車打造、生財器具、原物料配方、技術教學、促銷廣告、開幕指導,「一條龍的創業輔導」模式,使得五路財神餐車品牌特色更為彰顯。陳總說,不景氣下小吃餐車經營是加倍艱辛,建議創業者不但要瞭解小吃經營的核心價值,凸顯產品獨特性及差異化之外還要定期和你商圈的客人互動,「好餐車、好商品、好客人」,三個好,如此才有可能成為「不敗的小吃攤」。
|加盟創業|滷味加盟|加盟|餐車|安親班|廚具||開店|