Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sweet Potato Basil Quiche

Well, folks, today it's actually something savory! Yes, it's true. I do eat real food! And, I am working on savory recipes... as much as I'd be happy to make sweets and baked goods most of the day.

This is Sweet Potato Basil Quiche. I use yellow-flesh sweet potatoes in the base, along with white beans or tofu (I'm testing both versions). Our family prefers the white bean version, even though its consistency tends to be softer and a little less set as a quiche. For cooking ease and speedy preparation (this is key with two kidlets!) I use Wholly Wholesome's whole-wheat pie crust (I'd love to try the spelt crusts, but I haven't seen them in our store yet... anyone try the spelt yet?). Since the filling requires sauteeing some veggies and then pureeing the entire mix in a food processor, the prepared crust truly helps with clean-up and overall preparation time.

As with many of my recent posts, yes, this is a new recipe. I fully realize that it's not much fun for you all to see my new recipe posts and not be able to make the dishes yourself, simply because my new cookbook is not near being released. So, I mentioned in the comments of a previous post that I will soon post a new recipe - AND, here's the best part - I'm going to let YOU all vote to choose the one to post! So, stay tuned for the choices soon!

25 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

this looks very yummy and i would be interested in getting your recipe.

veggievixen said...

ooh so exciting! this looks tasty.

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful. I hope the cookbook is going well!

VeganLinda said...

This looks great. I recently made my first quiche ever (vegan or not) and now I'm hooked. I use Wholly Wholesome crusts too...so much easier than making me own with three kidlets...I can't wait until my oldest decides to make crusts himself.

Sindy said...

Looks very filling and satisfying.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm voting for this one already! I LOVE sweet potatoes and don't know if I can wait for the new book to try it (gnawing fingernails...)

A.M. said...

That looks lovely. :-)

Run Sarah said...

That looks so tasty and hearty - yum!

Animal-Friendly said...

That sounds awesome! I'm super excited for a new recipe and to even have a say in choosing it!

Anonymous said...

This would be my number one choice for sure!!! I love anything sweet potato!

Emily said...

Yummy! I only wish my hubby liked sweet potatoes as much as I do--but as it is I go around slightly orange tinted, so maybe it's better that we don't consume them all the time!

Laci said...

I can't wait to vote! I've never thought of incoorporating the magial sweet potatoe into a quiche-sounds pretty neat! :)

Nutritious is Delicious said...

Wow that looks so good! :D

Anonymous said...

Looks great Dreena!! I'm so anticipating your next cookbook - any hint on when we can expect it? p.s. I am LIVING off your super charge me cookies from ED+BV...they are absolutely perfect!

Cool Earth Gal said...

I am so happy to know there will be a quiche recipe that does not use eggs. I am looking forward to it!! Thanks

Eating Consciously said...

I've actually never had a quiche

Anonymous said...

Dreena,
I have long been a fan of yours. Your recipes and books are great. This quiche looks lovely! Thanks for your inspiration!
NANCY
http://testkitchenette.wordpress.com

Carrie™ said...

Wow! This looks amazing and sounds soooo delicious. Keep the teasers coming. I CANNOT WAIT for the new book. And, I can't wait to cast my recipe vote. Keep up the great work Dreena!

Anonymous said...

oh that looks so good. i hope that's the recipe you share with all of us!

Anonymous said...

I love the way this looks. But my vote will be for the sugar free chocolate cake with cashew frosting.

Tundie, Schwen and Mare said...

This looks wonderful!! I would vote for this one .. with the white beans :)
I love your site!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love the savoury and I adore sweet potatoes, so I can't wait for this recipe to come out! Really looking forward to future cookbooks, Dreena (even though, I know, I know, you need some time to relax and live you life, too! No pressure!)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks delish!

Rumela said...

These sweet potato basil quiche recipe sounds great and looks even better. I am going to make that on my next party. It will be a crowd pleaser.thank you for shearing your post.

Devan said...

this looks awesome!!
i would love to see the recipe!