Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Raw Strawberry Pie - & Signing Off

A couple of weeks ago we got out to a local farm for strawberry picking.  It was a splendid time, and after all was done we brought home a whopping 17 lbs of luscious, flavor-rich strawberries.  I should mention we picked with friends, and they gathered up 30 lbs!  Holy berries, batman!

We ate a lot of the berries fresh - how could you not?!  But, as you know, fresh strawberries do not have a long life, even once refrigerated.  So, I made some warm strawberry sauce, froze up a whack, and also made this Raw Strawberry Pie.  Yep, it will be a new recipe in the next book.  
This was my first crack at it, so I have another couple of rounds of testing before I check it off as 'finished'!  But, look at the glorious color!  And it was easy - blitzing the filling in the BlendTec.  It was a cross between a cheesecake and strawberry pie.  Just divine.

And, for those of you that have been following my True/Slant articles, I want to let you know that I have just finished writing with them.  Thank you to all of you that joined me there this past year.  :)
Ninety-nine percent of all land animals eaten or used to produce milk and eggs in the United States are factory farmed.  So although there are important exceptions, to speak about eating animals today is to speak about factory farming. (Source:  Eating Animals)

9 comments:

aimee said...

Love the strawberry pie! That looks completely gorgeous! So excited for your cookbook!

VeganLisa said...

I missed strawberry picking on Canada Day (my usual tradition) now my freezer looks bare without the typical bounty of berries. Sigh. I will live through you and your gorgeous creations.

I Am Gluten Free said...

I love the book Eating Animals. I've renewed it so many times that the library won't let me renew it again. I'm just racking up overdue fines cause I keep reading parts of it over and over. Great read!

Miss Rachel's Pantry said...

Ohh! That looks SO good.

Babette said...

I really enjoyed your True/Slant entries!

The pie looks amazing!

artsycraftsyivy said...

That pie looks fantastic! Can't wait for your next book :)

Anonymous said...

hey great blog, enjoyed looking around. recently started my own if you would like take a look at www.veghunter.wordpress.com
keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I have got to try this Strawberry Pie recipe. Great photo. It is a must for the my summer desserts!

Anonymous said...

You know, you can find plenty of animals and animal products that are humanely and sustainably raised. I don't eat industrially produced meat either but I buy from small, family farms that sell chickens/beef at the farmer's market.