Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Favorite: Chickpea Ratatouille

It seems I've been testing new recipes forever.  Now that I have this new book completed, I can leisurely get back to some of my very favorite recipes.  Like Chickpea Ratatouille.  This recipe is from Vive le Vegan!, and will always be in my top-picks.


I only wish I had photographs in that book.  It was early in my cookbook career and I didn't have the greatest impressions of food photography and styling from my first cookbook, so I didn't push for any in Vive.  If I could go back, that Chickpea Ratatouille would definitely be in color!

I've posted about this recipe before, but you should have a new photo.  I made it just this past weekend, and loved every bite.  We usually have it with rice, and a side salad, but I could eat it straight up.  Crusty bread is also good on the side, and leftovers are amazing in salads, to top pizza, or in lunch wraps.  

We haven't had very any hot weather yet this year, so it was no biggie for me to crank up the oven for this casserole.  But, if it's hot your way, you can let your bbq do the baking!  Just keep an eye on it occasionally and adjust the heat settings if needed, as bbq settings can get very hot.

If you don't have Vive, you can dig in here!

10 comments:

Kim said...

ahhh this looks fabulously healthy and savory dreena!!! i know what u mean about looking back at old pictures and wishing to have taken better photos! i do that with my old blog posts :)

Michele said...

Mmm, love chick peas! & the pic looks delish! I've been thinking about making this dish, I've had it dog-eared for awhile. I think I'll be pulling out Vive Le Vegan and whipping this one up this weekend! Thanks :)

VeganCouchPotato said...

That looks amazing... I am becoming a BIG fan of the chickpeas :)

Speaking of photos, I need a new camera

Dreena said...

Thanks guys. :)

vegancouchpotato, I need a new camera too, banking on that for my bday, even though it's quite a few months away...!

rachel said...

This is a favorite of mine also! Delicious everytime.

Christine said...

I also love this recipe! It's one of my favorites, but it has been hot here, so I've been keeping the oven off for the past week. I also thought about doing it on the grill...and since you mentioned it, I think that will be on my menu for the week. :)

Becky said...

this is one of my favorite recipes and I make it often, too! Savory and tangy at the same time. I usually serve it over quinoa.

Unknown said...

Yum! That looks tasty. Living in Texas, our summers are super hot, but I find it's still worth it to cook up a soup... especially if I double the recipe!

Anonymous said...

That looks really nice :) Will your next book have many photos?

I don't have any of your cookbooks and was thinking of getting Vive Le Vegan to start with, is this the one with the least soy in it?

Dreena said...

triumphofthelentil, yes, my next book will have plenty of photos - Hannah Kaminsky (bittersweet blog) is my photographer for this book, and the photos are great! Vive doesn't have photos, but the recipes are very wholesome, using a lot of beans, grains, little sugar/oil for everyday baking, etc. There isn't much soy, some desserts with soy and a few tofu dishes, but mostly beans/grains, and where non-dairy milk is used, usually almond milk fits the bill. Also, ed&bv isn't soy-heavy. Hope that helps. :)