Sunday, July 31, 2011

REAL fruit, sugar-free popsicles

Storebought popsicles are colored-flavored-watered junk - basically.  Yes, if the girls are at a party or school event and there are neon popsicles circulating, I don't say no.  There aren't many school and party foods that are vegan-friendly, after all.  But, at home, I say no.  Not to popsicles, just the junky ones.

Even the 'real-fruit' popsicles often have aren't just fruit, but with added sweeteners.  Again, I don't always mind the sweeteners, but popsicles are one of those things that are pretty easy to make at home if you have the time (and we don't always).  But, if you do, here are some REAL fruit popsicles, that don't have a titch of any sweetener.

The trick is to use a very sweet fruit - like watermelon.  That's what I used as my base for these.  I started a small batch in the blender (Blendtec, but standard blender will do here) for our middle girl using mostly watermelon and also some very ripe (freckled) banana.  That's it!  Just blended until smooth and filled up half (3) of our popsicle molds.  Then, for our older girl who loves anything berry, I blended watermelon with fresh raspberries.  (Our middle girl does not like berries.  Of any kind.  I know.  Bizarre.  Believe me, I've tried 'hiding' them and trying to trick her, but she has these radar-like tastebuds that pick up on raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries.  *sigh*  I do hope it will pass and she will love berries when she's older.)  I've rambled again (surprise)... back to the popsicles, I then poured that berry-melon mix in the remaining 3 molds.


And, aren't these Tovolo popsicle molds cute?!!  They are bpa-free, and come in different shapes and colors.

What I love is that the molds pop in and out of the base, rather than filling the entire tray of popsicles and then putting in the sticks.  Makes it easy to take out just one popsicle, and great for cleaning too.  You need to clear an area in your freezer to accommodate the base and sticks, but it's worth it.  Before these, I just had some cheap dollar-store tray version, and really needed something sturdy and well-made.  I saw them at the Food Co-op in Bellingham several times, and on our last visit, I gave in and bought a set - and love them!


Eager hands just couldn't wait for mom to finish snapping a pic.  (The beautiful Henna tattoos were from a birthday party the day before - not my handiwork!)


I managed to get a couple of pics out of the molds before the girls took off with their treats.  The lighter popsicle is the watermelon/banana blend, and the darker has the raspberries.

Babe doesn't take to ice cream or popsicles yet, but she had to join in with her big sisters.  Monkey see, monkey does!  And, boy, does she love watermelon!


Here she is, coming in for the first piece.  Atta' girl.  After grabbing the second, she brings back the remains.


Thanks darlin'.  And, off go my three musketeers (monketeers?)....  :D

8 comments:

Alison Cole said...

Great post. Thanks. I've been wanting to get into making some healthy fruit popsiscles for the summer (or what we have left of it!). I like the molds as well. I was just at the Co-op in Bellingham yesterday but will have to look for them the next time I am there.

Roia said...

Those look glorious! I made some popsicles with frozen mango, frozen bananas, dried pineapple and coconut milk. They were serious! Thanks for the beautiful photos. I know I'm inspired! And hungry!

Christine said...

So good! This really hits the spot for our family! I'll be sure to look for those molds at our Co-op. My boys are all different with their likes and dislikes too. I'm hoping my middle boy will learn to broaden his food horizons. :)

soleil said...

I have been wanting to make homemade popsicles this summer but haven't been up to experimenting. I shall be trying this soon.

I also love your molds! They are too cute.

Grill Recipes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ames said...

I got the Tovolo blue rocket pop molds this summer and my boys have been loving them!! I'll try watermelon today- thanks for the idea!

urban vegan said...

I feel cooler just having looked at these photos. And I'm jealous of those hennas.

stanley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.