Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Girls' Night Vegan Desserts

So, Saturday night I hosted a "girls' night" at my house, to celebrate the accomplishments of a couple of friends. I decided to serve two desserts. The first was a chocolate-hazelnut Chi Cake, and the second was my Baked Lemon Cream Pie, from The Everyday Vegan, pictured left. To simplify my work this weekend, I decided to use a pre-made pie crust instead of preparing my own cookie-based crumb crust. The result was excellent, and I will be posting a product review of these pie crusts soon.

Both desserts were a hit, and the Chi Cake was topped with shavings of dark belgian chocolate, looking even more fabulous than pictured on the website.

Quick side note: Us girls were 'clucking' until almost 1 am. When they left, my husband joked "you haven't been up this late since you were in labour". Sad but true!! I guess we were much overdue for a 'hen-do'!


Molly said...

Hi! I was so excited when I found you had a blogger (through the vegan lunchbox). I love your cookbooks! Looking forward to reading this blog as much as I can. keep up the great work :-)

Dreena said...

Thanks Molly! I plan to post at least a few times a week, covering some fun things like everyday happenings, new foods and recipes, and product reviews. :)

Julie said...

Great Blog!

Which book of yours has the recipe for the lemon pie? It looks sooo good! Is there also a recipe for the topping on the pie?


Dreena said...

Hi Julie!
The recipe is from "The Everyday Vegan". It is quite an easy pie, even easier with the prepared crust (which I will be posting the review for soon). The filling is a combination of fresh lemon juice and lemon rind (or you can use limes), soft tofu, ground cashews, and some unrefined sugar.

I top it with Mori-Nu pudding mate mix, usually vanilla, and this info is given in my recipe.

The photo was done by a food stylist and professional photograper, and the 'cream' was some sort of horrible synthetic topping like cool whip. I learned a lot about food styling that day, and why recipes in pictures look so fantastic, but that's a story for another day! :)

Julie said...

Thanks Dreena! I simply must buy your book then.

-and I know what you mean about food styling. You usually don't want to eat the food after a styling shoot.

I can't wait to try your pie :-)

Vegan Momma said...

I am not a big dessert eater but that looks delicious.

fiona a mom of a healthy family said...

wow this looks good. I would like to prepare this for my family and friends for our get together party next weekend. where can i get the recipe for this deserts. thanks

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That lemon cream pie looks so good!