Monday, January 16, 2006

Vegan Coconut Cream Pie

This was a dessert-filled weekend! My husband and I celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary today, and so we purchased a Chi Cake for ourselves (and our 4-year old... she loves them)!

Also, we joined my sister and her family for supper last night to celebrate her birthday, and I brought my vegan Coconut 'Cream' Pie (pictured above - p.193, The Everyday Vegan) for dessert.

This pie is light and luscious, and not overly sweet. I toasted extra coconut to sprinkle on the finished pie (which is not listed in my recipe directions - I think I will add this for the next reprint). Since time was short, I didn't make the oat crust specified in my recipe, and instead used Wholly Wholesome's Ready-To-Bake Traditional Pie Shell (pictured). I am lovin' their vegan pies and pie crusts!

The pie was devoured... I'm glad we still have some Chi Cake to enjoy today!


Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...looks good!

Jennifershmoo said...

I can practically taste it! Yum!

Danielle D. said...

Happy anniversary!

Maddy said...

Happy anniversary Dreena and Paul!
Can you buy these pie shells
at Choices?

Dreena said...

Thanks Danielle and Madelyn! :)

Madelyn, yes, they are in the freezer section, just past the non-dairy ice-creams, very close to the rice-based frozen foods. The home-bake apple pie is also delicious, and they have graham and chocolate-cookie pie crusts too. Everything I have tried is excellent. They have other items too, but not vegan.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Hi Dreena,
I made you pie, well the filling and the family loves it. I linked your beautiful pie on my site. I love my cookbook!