Friday, March 17, 2006

Brownie Bartering

This week I made a batch of my Fudgy Brownies from Vive. Now, I know I posted about these not too long ago, but there is a story here that I wanted to share, and also I added a lil' somethin' to these chocolatey gems!

My dear friend that comments here from time to time recently gave me a 10% off coupon to our local whole foods store. I do what I call "big shops" there when I can score a coupon (which isn't often), and stock up on things that typically don't go on sale. I kept telling her to keep it for herself, but she insisted, and hey, I'm no fool where food shopping is concerned!

Then, a week later, she gave me another coupon for 15% off. Holy hannah!! This time I said "listen, you need to do a big shop yourself, just make a list and stock up on things". She insisted again saying "I won't save more than $10 there on a shop, so you take it". I told her I would have to make it up to her sometime, and she said "just give me a few brownies the next time you make some". I replied "listen, you're getting a whole batch"!!

So yesterday I saw her at a kids' activity and said "I've got something for you". Well, that girl bounded like Tigger into the air with joy!! She got into the container straight away for an early chocolate treat...

and I made that batch extra-special for my extra-special friend! If you remember I mentioned the idea of topping the brownies with some chocolate chocolate and soy milk? - like a vegan ganache. You can see it in the photo, the lighter color layer topping the brownies. I didn't have chocolate chips handy, so I used the Endangered Species Bat Bar, broke it off in chunks and melted it with soy milk. I love that bar, but it IS a darker, more bitter chocolate, and because I used plain rather than vanilla soy milk, I worried it might be too bitter for my friend. But, she didn't think so, and I just love the little bits of cocoa nibs in that bar!

So, that's it, I have started bartering with brownies! I still think I owe her another batch later on!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Those look amazing. I'm literally drooling. You are such a tease!

Harmonia said...

Oh! Yum!

I am cornFUSED about something though. Which Endangered Species bars ARE vegan? At first I thought all of them were and then I found 3 kinds...2 of them seemed to have dairy in them (can't remember which ones now) and the only one I found was the Blueberry Dark Chocolate one with the Sea Turtle on it. HELP!

Also, I spoke with the herb lady and she's going to add Luna, Lara, and Clif Bars! Are there any I need to stay clear of that you know for sure?

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

This we have to try! Yum!

We made the chocolate chip cookies from VLV today. Sooo good (though I used unsweetened applesauce instead of oil)! I had to walk away from the kitchen after trying the first one- I was afraid I would eat the rest of them! The kids were literally going "ooh and ah!"

To Vicki,
You are so blessed to have Dreena as a friend, IRL that is!

Eat Peace Please said...

Can I pay you for some since I have this recipe but I (still) won't use my oven. This might just have to break the chain... YUM.

Eat Peace Please said...

And yes, Vicki, you are one lucky lady. I'm willing to pay, and you're even getting it for free! I would also only have one left today.

Merce said...

totally inspiring and luscious looking, Dreena. I was planning to make the homestyle chocolate chip cookies again (I'm still in utter awe with those), but I might have to give this a try...wow.

Dreena said...

I just returned from an outing with the kids to a dino exhibit - oooh! Older daughter had a hoot!

Emily, I really am bad... as I've mentioned, I'm like a chocolate pusher! Sorry, I just can't resist trying to tempt you guys!

Hi Harmonia... well, endangered species has a mix of vegan and dairy bars. All of their 'dark chocolate' labelled bars are vegan, EXCEPT the dark chocolate and white chocolate blend, and the dark chocolate with hazelnut toffee. Their other bars are milk chocolate varieties. With the Luna, Lara and Clif Bars you are safe - I'm almost 100% sure they are all vegan (for sure larabars are).

Vicki, you are so funny!! You are really 'out of the vegan closet' now, aren't you? I dropped enough hints and mentions that you just had to confess!! Oh, and about that brownie for breakfast? I've had many a morning with tea and chocolate or cookies to start the day!

Hi Kai, that's great! I've never made the cookies with the applesauce replacement. Certainly lower in fat, and healthier for the kids too! I sometimes make them for my daughter with carob chips instead of choc chips. She loves carob!

Oh, Leslie, you are going through oven withdrawal it sounds!! You're so sweet... I should hold a contest for the brownies and courier them out in the mail to the winner - ha! :)

Hi Ms. Mercedes! Yes, try them sometime, and also try the Double Chocolate Almond Explosion cookies if you want a real chocolate hit - much like the Homestyle but obviously more chocolatey!!

oh, and ps... I'm very lucky to have Vicki as my friend!!!

Carrie™ said...

What a way to start the weekend! Chocolate Brownies! You are a chocolate pusher Dreena and I'm a total junkie. Can't wait for the next fix. :o)

Dreena said...

Oh shhtop it, Vicki... no, don't, you are just too great! We need to shop to celebrate friendship and brownies... maybe shop with brownies? - hmmm, now there's an idea!

Thanks, Cee!! Your kids would probably love these, though you may want to keep them for yourself (sorry, that's bad I know)! They ARE a bit decadent for kids, though. Also, they freeze great and there is something so fabulous about a frozen cookie or cookie bar with a tea or other hot drink - yum!

Hi Carrie, yeeeahh... I've got you! I am seriously chocolate disturbed!! :)

sarchan said...

Hoh man. Those brownies are sooo good on their own. Ganache?! Oh goodness . . .

Brooke said...

These brownies are my favorite recipe of all time. Soooo fudgy, sooo delicious!!!