Friday, November 24, 2006

Things That Make You Go... Mmmm!

I'm finally getting to this post to share some recent vegan nummy finds! I haven't featured one of these segments for a while, so here's a double dose...

First up - chocolate! As vegans, some of us miss milk chocolate. Personally, I love dark chocolate, and have come to appreciate even the darkest, more bitter chocolate for its pure cocoa liquor essence. However, once in a while I long for milk chocolate, mostly around holidays and occasions when it is so festive, such as with Christmas and Halloween.

Now, I can indulge my craving with Terra Nostra Rice Milk Chocolate Bars. There are three varieties of bars available, Ricemilk Choco, Ricemilk Choco with Almonds, and Ricemilk Chocolate with Dark Truffle Center. While they all have a similar taste, I think the Dark Truffle Center bar is my favorite. While these bars are not exactly like the milk chocolate bars you remember (which is a good thing in my opinion since most of those are gritty sugary and full of junk), they will give you a milder, more mellow and soft tasting chocolate, reminiscent of a cross between milk chocolate and... for me... icy squares (anyone remember these?). Now, I'm not saying they are *that* close to icy squares, there is just something about these bars that oh so slighty reminds me of that icy chocolate confection.

Next up, Alexia Sweet Potato Fries. Ho-ly! How have I overlooked these until now??? These are like tempura sweet potato fries. Amazing! They have just the slightest amount of a batter-type coating that is perfect.

Now, there are two types of sweet potato fries by Alexia, as you will see in the link. The ones I have tried are the bag pictured here (the other variety I have not seen here). I have contacted the company to ask the difference between the two types, and all I can guess is that the other (Hanna Gold) variety does not have this same type of batter, but I'm unsure. Regardless, pick up these Alexia Sweet Potato Fries pictured - you won't be disappointed!!

11 comments:

Amey said...

Cool! I love product reviews! Thanks for sharing your finds. I prefer dark chocolate anyway, but I am going to seek out the "dark truffle filling" bar... that sounds like a neat treat.

Also, the fries look yummy. I assume their in the frozen section, right? I'll go looking for them. It would be fun to get one new thing every time I went to the store or the farmer's market... just so that the experimenting never stops!

Carrie™ said...

Holy doodle! I checked out the website for the chocolate and it says they sell at Whole Foods. I'm going to look when I'm there next. I remember Icy Squares. Everytime someone mentions those, I get such a specific memory that is so fun. When I was a kid in Fredericton, 2 days a week after school, Lady Beaverbrook Rink had free skating. (I'm sure you know where that is Dreena. Right on University Ave. at the end near the university). All my friends & I would take our skates to school so we could charge over to the arena and not waste precious time going home to get them. They had a snack bar open for the occaision and I was given a quarter for treats. (This was a loooong time ago. We're talking the '70's here). I always spent my money on Icy Squares. They tasted even better when I was on the ice skating around. The memory of those moments are so clear to me even now, 30 years later. Funny, eh?

Carrie™ said...

I was so wrapped up in my stroll down memory lane I completely forgot to comment on the sweet potato fries! With a batter coating? Sweeeeeet! I'll have to keep my eyes opened for them too.

Anonymous said...

I love those Rice Milk Chocolate bars!I used to get them when I lived in the states,but I haven't seen them anywhere since moving to Vancouver(BC).Did you get them in Portland,or were you able to find them in BC?

Dreena said...

Savanna, that cocoa nib Endangered Species bar is my favorite of their dark chocolate! I just added it to the munchies in my amazon store (left link on home page). They had a lot of the Endangered Species bars, but that's the only one I really wanted to put there for now because I love it the BEST! I can usually get them at our whole foods store here on sale for $1.99 - they run sales on them every month or so. Otherwise they are about $2.99 - but I will stock up some when they are on sale!! :)

Amey, I think you'll like it! The bar is very smooth and not at all gritty or chalky. I didn't taste the dark chocolate center that much, but I just liked the overall taste and texture of the bar. Let me know what you think if you give it a try! Oh, and yes, the potatoes are in the frozen section - they were sold out for a long time in our whole foods market - now I know why!! I love trying out new products - can be $$ though, because the packaged stuff is always more than buying whole foods and bulk foods. Still it's fun!

Carrie!! I love that story. What a clear memory of a fond time you have. Those are sweet moments in time... ah yes, I remember taking a quarter to buy treats too. I could get a bag of chips with a quarter, or I think certain ice-creams, though the best ones were probably fifty cents! We skated at that rink a few times when we were in uni!!! Well, hubby skated, I held onto him or the sides for dear life! He tried to teach me, and did well with it (he was a big hockey player and I love watching him skate). But... I still have a fear of falling hard on the ice so I don't fully relax! Anyhow, I mostly remember icy squares at Christmas time - those and icy cups. I used to feel sick after eating them, but then I did eat quite a few at one time! Those sweet potatoes fries are incredible... do try them!

Hi Evan, I'm not sure if Capers carries them in the city or Whole Foods Market in West Van (they might). There is a small health food store that carries them in our area, and I am going to ask Choices to start stocking them (sometimes they will bring things in). If you can't find them in Vancouver, you can also order them through Vegan Essentials or Cosmos Vegan Shoppe. May be more expensive, but I know with Vegan Essentials if you sign up for their newsletter you get coupons for 5 and 10% off (when you order a certain dollar amount). Cosmos may do something similar, I'm not sure, I've only ordered from Vegan Essentials so far. I also get other dark chocolates from them, vegan marshmallows, and other stuff I cannot find here. Good luck! :)

Julie said...

I'll have to keep an eye out for that Rice Milk Chocolate...looks good!

oh, and I've had those french fries...really good!

Anonymous said...

Ohh..I used to love those icy squares! I hope I can find that ricemilk chocolate around here someplace....good stocking stuffers for my kids!

I must try those fries too! I'll keep my eyes peeled...;)

funwithyourfood said...

I get those fries too. They're great sprinkled wiht seasoned salt right out of the oven


teddy

Dreena said...

Julie, the chocolate is nummy - I'm not sure which I am liking better... the chocolate or the fries! Oh, decisions, decisions!!

Nancy, don't forget to ask Santa to put a couple in your stocking too!! :)

Teddy, I agree, and they are also incredible dipped in a little tamari - mmm mmm!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
what's the name of the small health food store in your area that carries it?

Jody from VegChic said...

Dreena, I came across the ricemilk chocolate a few weeks ago. I hadn't tasted milk chocolate in a long time and boy was it great!