Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Nutter


I'm a Corrie fan - yes, it's true. (That's Coronation Street, in case you didn't know.) Hubby tapes the repeat episodes every Sunday so I can catch up during the week while I iron, fold laundry, or cook. (The glamorous life of a cookbook author, hey?!) :)

But really, it's my favorite show. I love the 'real' people, the story lines, and of course, the dialect and lingo. These Softly Spiced Nuts would be a perfect nibbler 'at pub' (aka Rovers Return), but of course most spiced nuts are made with egg whites, so a word of caution if you think those nuts must automatically be vegan.

With this recipe, the nuts aren't over seasoned. The taste of the nuts still comes through, and you aren't left with a heavy spicy taste. Our oldest girl said "mom, I love these - mmmm, you need to put these in your recipe book - mom, you make the best food".

Awww, how sweet, 'ta, luv'.

Makes up for her asking for another napkin last night so she could inconspicuously spit out some of her veggie burgers... you know, because of the "red things" (red pepper)... which, by the way, were diced into tiny pieces. And sauteed. And partially pureed into a patty. Ah yes, they always loooove my food. It's so rewarding.

Can you tell I feel a bit of a nutter today? Fit for a stroll on Coronation Street...

8 comments:

Dr. Melissa West said...

Oooooh, are these nuts going in the new cook book? I keep meaning to whip up something like this so I can have it as a snack. Can't wait for the new cook book!

Dreena said...

Melissa, yes, these will definitely be in ED&BV!!

Hi Savanna, no there's no maple syrup in these, but they are easy and with basic ingredients. Also, you can use whatever nuts you like best - I've used a mix of cashews, pecans, almonds, and walnuts in my testing.

Dr. Melissa West said...

Love the mix Dreena. I made some spiced nuts today with just almonds but a mix would be really good.

Teresa said...

oh I sure do love nuts. But I think I like them best raw (or as nut butter). Maybe it's time for me to venture beyond raw and have them roasted and spiced. They sure do look nummy!

-Teresa

Dreena said...

Melissa, those look good in your post! It's funny because our older girl normally will eat whole cashews - and that's it in terms of whole nuts. But with this mix, she now LOVES almonds, and she loved the pecans too. It's helped her try out a few other nuts that she's been reluctant to eat in more whole form.

Hi Teresa! We mostly eat nuts in form of nut butters, and also raw. Especially with our daughters - they eat nuts in nut butter form almost exclusively - the easiest, 'kid-friendly' way to get those nuts into them! I have found that I now love raw nuts more than I ever have. Sometimes a little toasting goes a long way in a recipe to enhance flavors - as in cookies or even a nut/bean type of burger or loaf, but straight eating I agree, they are so delicious raw.

Emmy said...

Those spiced nuts look yummy. My mom is a huge Coronation Street fan. In the Detroit area, she gets one of the Canadian stations that airs it. She's been watching it nearly my whole life.

laura k said...

Yum! I love looking at the picture and trying to imagine how these would taste. Between these nuts and the ones on Melissa's blog, I feel like I am destined to make some of my own! See, I just need a little inspiration sometimes!

Dreena said...

Thanks Emmy... I remember my mom watching it some as well, but probably not as much as I now do!! I love that it is a 'soap', but not silly and ridiculous like all the other soaps out there. I guess you know many of the long-running characters from years ago...?! :)

Laura, we ALL need a lil' inspiration sometimes - myself included! Thanks (oh, and you should have your book any day now - it was mailed last week).