Friday, February 01, 2008

Vegan "Lovely-ness" for Valentine's

Boys and girls, it's February and Valentine's Day is fast approaching! Do you have a sweetie lined up for your sweetie? Well, if not, read on...

I was lucky enough to sample a few treats from the wonderful folks at Liz Lovely.* I have heard and read many great things about Liz Lovely's cookies, but had not yet had tried one. They contacted me asking if I'd like to try some of their new chocolate covered treats that they were developing for Valentine's (and perhaps these treats will be permanent items, I'm not certain).

I received three little sample packages. The first with 3 large chocolate covered pretzels, the second with 4 chocolate covered cookies, and the third was their Gingersnapdragon cookies (2 to a pack). Here you see the chocolate covered cookies next to the pretzels. I split one of the cookies in half so you could have a peek at the thick coat of chocolate on top of the oreo-style, mint-flavored cookie (unfortunately I zoomed in a little too closely so you don't get the full effect.) What's better than a chocolate treat but a chocolate treat dipped in chocolate?! And the pretzels are fabulous!... I love having that very slight taste of salty contrast underneath the thick layer of deep chocolate. They have some other chocolate treats which I didn't (but would love to!) try... including chocolate covered cashews, macadamia nuts, ginger, and almonds. I forgot to mention how attractive looking these chocolate treats are as well. Very smoothly finished with an even coating giving a very polished look.

Here is the Gingersnapdragon cookie. I photographed it next to the chocolate cookie, just to show you how BIG this cookie is. The package label shows a serving size is 1/2 of one cookie... and that makes sense, because if you eat one of these cookies in full, you *know* you've really eaten two or so average-sized cookies! There are other cookie flavors at Liz Lovely, and if you are a ginger lover, go for this one. It doesn't just have ginger flavor (as some ginger cookies do), but it carries some heat from the ginger... likely from the crystallized ginger that is pressed down into the tops of the cookies.

Just look at that, isn't it pretty with the crystallized ginger and sugar sprinkling all around? This is a soft cookie, just to let you know. I realize there are those of us that appreciate a soft cookie, and those of us that want a crispier, crunchier cookie... so if you are in the latter camp, just know that this is a soft, tender cookie (and I suspect the other flavors are the same... btw, have any of you tried the cowboy/cowgirl cookies? They also look incredible!)

Hellooooo??! boys out there: listen up! Your women would like some DECENT vegan treats... and we aren't all excited about flowers (ex: me), especially roses on Valentine's which are altogether predictable, and they wilt so quickly. Yes boys, plan in advance... shop and buy some treats now. Not the night before, or even worse, Valentine's Day itself. (ahem, you know who you are husband of a dear friend of mine) tsk, tsk. :)

And, why wait for a fellow to get these treats for you... heck, treat yourself and go check out the goodies at Liz Lovely today.

Now, if by some chance you procrastinate, or have very little cash to order treats, I'll repost my chocolate bark recipe in the next week or so... and I might have a few other ideas to get all sweet about.

*in case you're wondering, I am not receiving anything for this 'plug' of Liz Lovely. They kindly sent me a sample of their GingerSnapDragons, chocolate covered pretzels, and chocolate covered cookies. One taste was all I needed to share the good word.

17 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Dreena,
happened to have ordered the Liz Lovely 'Cowboy' cookies last week from Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe. 'Cowboy' is the oatmeal/chocolate combo. They were delicious! The thick coating of chocolate on the back of the cookie is really satisfying. You'll love 'em.
I know this must be the 1000th request, but...your amazing mac & cheese recipe? We're all waiting! Some kind of hint ?! :)
Andrea

Dreena said...

ohhh, Andrea, I'll have to order that flavor myself - I know I would LOVE that coating of chocolate on the bottom of the cookie... yumminess!! I am 'tweaking' that recipe for the mac... I need to get it just right before I post it, but I hear you. Plus, you'll soon get 20 NEW recipes - and free! - on the foodtv.ca site... all coming soon. :)

Anonymous said...

When is the Food Network giving you your own show????
Angie

Anonymous said...

Did you know that all your receipes are already on the Food Network's website. I just did a search and all 20 are there.

Angie

Dreena said...

Angie, yes, I know... I plan to introduce them in groups with some photos, etc... but, you go crazy and get a head-start!

Carrie™ said...

As soon as I finish typing this, I'm headed to the Food Network site. I hear the recipes are up. YES!!
I have not heard of Liz Lovely. I don't even know if they are available here. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Although, I'm not a fan of chocolate covered pretzels, (can you believe that one?) the mint cookies sound awesome. And the GIANT cookie looks great too. I checked out the website and watched the bakery video - I felt like I was at work. YIKES!

Anonymous said...

I just sent a link to this post to Matt with a note saying "::cough cough::" haha

Thanks, Dreena!!

Carrie™ said...

OK. I went to foodtv.ca. I feel woozy. How are you able to come up with all of these amazing recipes? Just after publishing a new cookbook no less!! You are...are...I'm at a loss for words. I keep saying amazing, but I can't think of another adjective that is appropriate. I cannot wait to see pics of these dishes and read what you have to say about them. I have my eye on one in particular that I want to make very soon. AMAZING!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness the size of that cookie is astonishing!! WOW!! epitome of decadence, for sure.

p.s. I responded to your comment, on my blog :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful there are women like you reminding guys like me to not wait till the last minute to make something special for my better half. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to say that I tried the Sundried Tomato Pesto tonight for dinner and it was awesome.
The Veggie Vixen

Mark Xander said...

Hi Dreena! I am such a fan of your blog. I am vegan too and this is such a great place to find interesting food ideas. :)

We need your voice so keep up the good work! :)

Anyways, I made a short film about the plight of animals in fur farms, circuses, and the like.

Please do check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wup6a5P2dKs

Hugs,

Mark

urban vegan said...

I'm passing this post onto Omniman....;)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Those treats look so yummy! Especially those chocolate covered pretzels.
Thanks too for including that v-day think ahead tip... now I just need to get my hubby to read your blog!

Michelle said...

i showed kurt this post with a not-so-subtle "ahem!" added in for good measure ;) i'm also not big on the flowers

Michelle said...

dreena, i am making your mexican soup, and i think it has a typo in it.. it says 1 1/4 cup of cumin seed, shouldn't it be 1 1/4 tsp or tbsp? i used the 1 1/4 tsp.. and will be eating it momentarily... it just needs to cool a smidge ;)

Dreena said...

Michelle, yes 1 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seed - thanks, not sure how that got converted with such a big error! I'll let them know and also update my recent post - thx for the keen eye. :)