Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cashew Cheese Filled Pasta

In my last T/S piece, I published a recipe for Truffled Cashew Cheese. Here I've used it to fill pasta shells in a casserole. I simply tucked a spoonful of cheese into each of the cooked pasta shells (can you see it peeking through that shell in the centre of the photo?). The shells are placed in a lightly oiled casserole dish, with some pasta sauce layered around the shells. I also distributed about a tablespoon of capers into the casserole for an added punch of flavor. (You could also add olives, fresh herbs, chopped roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, sauteed mushrooms, or other veggies.) Cover the dish with foil, and bake at about 375 for about 15-20 minutes (or longer if you have chilled the casserole before baking).

Though this "cheese" is raw, I use it in many non-raw ways, including as a spread for sandwiches, as a spread for cooked potatoes and sweet potatoes, as a spread and 'binder' for wraps (holds veggies, beans, and other ingredients very well and makes filling and wrapping effortless), and in pasta dishes like this one and also as a cheese to layer in lasagnas. Of course, you can be purist with it and keep it raw, using it as a dip for veggies, to wrap in lettuce leaves, or thinned out with more water to toss with raw vegetable 'noodles'. However you use it, it's easy to make and super delicious!

Recently, I've been making the version with half cashews/half brazil nuts (as mentioned in the recipe). Also, I often double the batch, then freeze half the cheese in one or more containers. It thaws beautifully! Also, when you soak the nuts, if you have extra after making this dip, drain and rinse them and pop in the freezer in airtight containers. You can make more cheese at a later date, and will have some or all of the nuts already ready in the freezer.

Before I sign off, a brief note to you all about the frequency of my posts. It's been crazy busy keeping up with three kidlets... I cannot even fully explain how hectic most days are! So, while I'm not posting as often as I have in the past, I still want to communicate with you as much as possible. So, I trust that I'm still hanging on to my readers here and that you'll have patience with my busy-momma schedule! I'll post here and on true/slant as much as I can. So, hang in with me, okay? :)

9 comments:

Michelle.S said...

Yummy cheeze! Dreena, I'm not going anywhere. i still check your blog all the time!

Inside My Mind said...

I check you out all the time! You won't get rid of me that easily!!

Caroline said...

I'm hanging in there with you, Dreena. I remember what it was like with three kidlets. Enjoy them. Mine now have kidlets of their own.

Debra said...

These look sooo good!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Unknown said...

I love it!! I always love your post here! It makes me hungry! Time for me and my kitchen table to get working!! Can't wait!

Heather said...

I made this the other day with rice lasagna noodles. It was SOOOO good. I added a bunch of fresh basil. It didn't make it for pictures or leftovers. I need to make it again soon. So so so so good!

Jenna said...

Found this while randomly trawling the net last night - and I have to say I'm intrigued! I'm definitely going to have to give this a whirl over the weekend when I make pasta.

While I'm not a vegan (genetic blood defect and allergies means that's a no-go) I am always looking for new options and meatless ideas for the majority of my cooking. This site looks like a great resource, and one I'm going to lose more than a few hours rummaging. Thanks so much.

wingraclaire said...

Although I never comment, I do read your blog pretty faithfully and own your cookbooks. This recent blog does move me to comment though.... hang in there! I remember only too well when I had three kids under the age of five.... and believe it or not it all goes very quickly. Today those kids are 20, 21 and 24. So relax, don't worry about your fan base, and give yourself some extra tlc. You deserve it!

Erin said...

Looks great! I love Cashew Cheese, just made a spicy one myself today!