Wednesday, July 13, 2011

'Rawroona' Rolls

In ed&bv, I have a recipe for "Goddess Garbanzos", which essentially mimics the flavor of tuna sandwich using Annie's Goddess Dressing, and also kelp granules.  I used to love tuna sandwiches as a kid, and in my pre-vegan days.  Yet, while I loved eating those tuna sandwiches, I never felt very good after.  Could have been the mayo, or the tuna itself, but my stomach just felt 'blech' and my energy sagged.  This mixture is not only lighter, healthier, and energizing, but also flat-out tastes better!  For real.

Last week I tweaked my ed&bv recipe - excluding the Goddess Dressing - as I wanted to adapt it for you wheat-free, gluten-free readers out there.  (I also lightened up the mix with less vegan mayo.)  Then, I decided to wrap it up in our back yard chard leaves, and the recipe takes on a more living/raw slant (not fully raw, I realize this, please don't give me heck in the comments!)  Thanks to Scooby in my head, "Rawroona rolls"come to life...  :D

First, I start with the chard leaves from my garden:


They're not quite as big (yet) as those in the stores, but far fresher - and much more tender!

Then, scoop on the 'rawroona' mix (recipe follows):


Eat as is, or roll up:


Fresh!  Delicious!  Satisfying!  Stuff 'em as much as you want, eat a few or eat more!  Eat with chopsticks, or pretend use chopsticks (like I do)...  ;)


And, here's the recipe.  We often added chopped celery and apple to our tuna salad growing up, and I love the pungent and sweet contrasts they give - and also the textural crunch - don't skip!
(recipe adapted from Goddess Garbanzos, from ed&bv)
1 TBSP tahini
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp tamari
1-2 tsp vegenaise (or other vegan mayonnaise; I like just 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp kelp granules
pinch or two sea salt (to taste)
freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained, and semi-smashed (see below)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped apple
2 tsp capers
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Whisk/stir together the tahini with the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, tamari, vegenaise, dijon, kelp granules, salt, and pepper.  Mash/smash the chickpeas just slightly with the bottom of your measuring cup, and then stir in with mixture along with celery, apple, and capers.  Stir through until well mixed.  Serves 2.

And of course, you could always skip the rolls and make a "roona randwich"!


30463.jpg

10 comments:

Thomas Bergel said...

I love it! My mouth is watering as I copy the recipe. I'll be sure to give you a review as soon as I receive the book.

Dreena said...

Thanks Thomas. :) Thanks also for your comment on the diabetes post. It has always been important to me that my recipes are healthy as well as tasty, so hearing they are regarded as such is a wonderful thing!!

Audrey said...

This looks so good! I think I'll make a variation of this for lunch.

Michele said...

I loooove chickpea salad "better than tuna salad" its so great! Your rolls look so good!

Gena said...

Delicious! Your goddess garbanzos are a classic.

vanzare masini said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Tapioca said...

Totally inspiring and looks SO tasty! Awesome blog :D

Brady said...

Wow these look so delicious!!

Rachel said...

I've made this twice now and loved it each time. I never have mayo at home so I add 3/4 tsp avocado and an extra splash of lemon juice and it tastes fantastic!

Alistaire said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.