Here it is guys, the cookbook news!
My new cookbook Let Them Eat Vegan! will be published by Da Capo Press in Spring 2012! YAY!
This book is my biggest (and dare I say best?) yet, with 200 recipes that are wholesome, delicious, real food vegan eating. We're talking beans 'n greens, grains and nuts, and veg and fruit. And, cookie love.
Here is what you won't find in LTEV:
- Recipes using processed vegan subs like sour cream, cream cheese, margarine, soy or wheat-meats, or cheeses (though, I understand the Daiya love... really I do, we love it too. I just don't ask you to go buy it for a recipe).
- White refined stuff. You know, white flour, white rice, white sugar, white pasta.
- Difficult recipes that require oodles of time in the kitchen. As much as I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, I get that some of you don't! And, with three young'ns, some days I can't either.
And here is what you WILL find in LTEV:
- Recipes that make creams and cheeses and sauces and burgers and casseroles and soups and tarts and desserts and all sorts of deliciousness using the basics - beans and nuts and grains and veggies and seeds and non-dairy milks and fruits... and some love.
- Did I mention beans? Lots of them. We eat beans every day, every way. You can too, I make it easy and delicious to do so!
- Wheat-Free and Gluten-Free recipes. All my recipes are naturally wheat-free with the exception of a few and for these I give wheat and gluten-free substitutions. Many recipes are also naturally gluten-free (as a lot of whole-food vegan cooking and baking is inherently gluten-free). Still, I offer gluten-free substitutions where I can, and also have many dedicated gluten-free recipes (ex: gf pie crust, gf cakes and cookies and more!) I also give some soy-free options, though they are needed less as most of the book is by default soy-free (with the exception of a few dedicated tempeh and tofu entrees).
- Raw dressings, salads, sauces, and desserts! (Think "Kale-slaw", "Lemon-Lime Cheesecake", "Fresh Yellow Tomato Sauce" and "Banana Nut Squares") Yum.
- Recipes that will be loved by vegans and also non-vegans. Let Them (all) Eat Vegan!
- Options, options, options. Like family-friendly offerings like casseroles and soups and really healthy cookies and treats, but also more adventurous, kicked-up and spicy dishes (think "Jerk Chickpeas").
- "Dreena Dazs". You know I love ice cream, I give you a chapter of it. Plus, a lot of cookies to go with that ice cream. Now we're talking.
- And, photos! Some of the recipes we photographed include:
* Gluten-Free Banana-Scented Cupcakes with Cooked Chocolate Frosting
* Thai Chickpea Almond Curry
* White Bean Pesto Spread and "Romesc-oat" Sauce
* Whole-Grain Chia Pancakes with Warm Strawberry Sauce
* Fragrant Kidney Bean Lentil Dahl with Indian-Inspired Rice
* Lemon-Lime Cheesecake with Coconut Nut Crust and Fresh Mango Sauce
* Pan-Fried Falafels with Smoky-Spiked Tahini Sauce and Quinoa Taboulleh
* Raw Banana Nut Squares with Cream Cheese Frosting
* Kale-Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing
* French Lentil Soup with Smoked Paprika
* "Veg-veeta" Dip
* Blueberry Coffee Cake with Cinnamon-Walnut Crumble Topping
* Festive Chickpea Tart
* Citrus-Scented Almond Muffins
* Green Smoothie
* Truffled Cashew Cheese
* Creamy Barley Risotto with Fresh Thyme and Star Anise
* Creamed Cheese Brownies with Salted Dark Chocolate Topping
And finally, with this book, I give you four or so years of pouring my heart and soul into recipe development and testing. These are the recipes I make with love for my family. I hope you will make for the ones you love, to nourish and delight them. Let Them Eat Vegan!