Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Vegan Christmas Dinner
Here's our Christmas dinner! It's been tradition now for about ten years. The dishes are (clockwise from top):
- Yam Puree
- Roasted Turnip Puree (known as rutabaga to most)
- cranberry sauce on the side
- Spiced Mushroom Potato Phyllo Pie
- "All-Dressed" Squash (also in lower photo to show full squash with dressing)
- Mushroom Gravy
- salad of romaine lettuce, cucumber, green onions, and pomegranate seeds
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnip (this year I also added fennel bulb)
- Lemon-Herb Tofu
With the exception of the tofu which is from Vive le Vegan!, all recipes in bold are from The Everyday Vegan.
For dessert we had an ice-cream pie using a Wholly Wholesome Graham Cracker Crust and Easy Caramel Sauce from Vive le Vegan! I also bought the Wholly Wholesome Ready-to-Bake Apple Pie, which was fabulous with lots of apples and a light, flaky crust (not thick and heavy as some store-bought pies can be).
The entire meal was so full of flavor it was hard to stop eating! We all had seconds, and some thirds, and there was still enough for leftovers (yay!). We only make this meal once a year, since it is a good amount of planning, prep, and cooking, but wow it is worth it and we look forward to it every year.
Posted by Dreena