Monday, April 06, 2009

Pasta & Mish-Mash of Things

Hiya guys! It's been a busy time, and I'll give you the scoop on some happenings in an upcoming post. Also, I will be posting the ice cream recipe soon. Until then, a few things to keep you going!

First, a recent pasta dish, using a roasted red pepper sauce based on the Roasted Red Pepper Dip from TEV. Our hfs had organic red peppers on special several weeks back, so I picked up a swack (normally they can be quite pricey) and roasted 'em up for the sauce! After making the sauce, I realized I had a small container of Lemony Cashew-Basil Pesto (ed&bv) in the freezer. (btw, you can get the pesto recipe in the link of this post) The dollop of vibrant, zesty pesto was brilliant with the more mellow, sweet red pepper sauce. I used a whole-grain kamut pasta (rotini), which we use a lot and really enjoy. Have you branched out from whole-wheat pasta yet to try ones from other grains, like kamut, brown rice, wild rice, etc. I keep a mix of different grain pastas on hand, since I prefer certain varieties for particular pasta dishes.

I also served up a simple salad with mixed greens and drizzled on my Living Caesar Dressing. It's a good change to simply drizzle the dressing on a salad rather than toss it through romaine leaves... I also find myself using the dressing as a mix for sandwich fillings/spreads, and sometimes a dip for breads/chips, etc. Tangy & nummy!

Now for the mish-mash...

A few links that might be of interest to you:

1) First up, an entry over at veg blog with a powerful story about one person's journey to veganism, stemming from health reasons. This was posted early in March, and so while I'm late sharing this link with you, I think Natala's personal story should be read and shared as much as possible - so read on!

2) Next, if you'd like to hear more about eating raw foods and the vegan diet, Dr. Melissa West will be interviewing Vesanto Melina on her show this Wed, Apr 8th. Even if you can't connect for the live interview, you can listen to it later from the show archives.

3) And, finally, if you're really twiddling your thumbs and want to find out more about yours truly, there's a recent interview online at The Vegan Culinary Experience. Be sure to check out VCE's home page and sign up for their newsletter - you'll find new and interesting recipes to try out!

Talk soon... :)

13 comments:

Suzi said...

Yum! This pasta looks delish! I will most definately be trying this!
Suzi

aTxVegn said...

I love VCE - I'll be sure to check out your interview.

Janae @ Bring-Joy said...

Dreena, I enjoyed your interview. I feel I share a kinship with you as I am a busy mom of 3 young children. I really appreciate the perspective you bring to being vegan and being a parent. I really liked the section in your 2nd cookbook about feeding schedules. We recently discovered that my kids are allergic to soy, tree nuts, and wheat! A lot of the foods I have been giving them on a vegan diet. Anyway, I so enjoy your blog and your cookbooks. Keep the recipes coming!

Dreena said...

thanks guys. :)

veganmothering, thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate your sentiment. Having little kidlets makes being vegan just a little more tricky - and more effort - since as you know it requires more home food preparations. But, I always go back to the idea that most of our foods *should* be home prepared... it's just that we live in such a way that it's now quite prohibitive to do much of our home food prep as our mothers did - and was done for generations before that. The effort is worth it, imo, and we are gradually starting to see a shift again back to making more of our own foods and relying less on everything prepackaged, etc. You have an even greater challenge working around those allergies. I give you a lot of credit for putting such an emphasis on healthy foods for your 3 little ones... and your blog is super, btw!

Ryan said...

I gave one of your books to Natala as a gift and she absolutely loves it! She'll be psyched you linked her up. :)

Hope all is well with you, Dreena!

Vegan Nutritionista said...

Great post. Thank you so much for the link to Natala's story. It's truly inspiring. You know how I love interviews ;), so I will definitely check out your newest one at VCE!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! So, uh Dreena...you would'n't want to help a pregnant woman out and maybe post the recipe? Please? LOL! Seriously, that looks great and saucy...

Natala said...

Thanks Dreena! I have to say that your book has definitely been a key part of me being able to go vegan. So thanks so much for all of the fantastic recipes, tips, and suggestions. They have helped SO much!

Dreena said...

anonymous, I would be happy to help your preggo palate, except that I don't have the electronic file for that recipe, so it's just a bit time consuming to type it all out again. The pesto recipe link is there, though - be sure to print that one off for when basil season hits! (sorry I'm not more helpful for this craving!) :(

Natala, that's very kind... and thank *you* for sharing such a detailed personal story for others to learn and benefit from.

Michelle.S said...

Dreena, I so agree about the importance of preparing foods at home. I average about 2 hours a day in the kitchen right now, and most of it is during precious nap time or when my girls are settled in bed... it isn't easy, but is a huge priority for me. And I actually find it very therapeutic and rewarding to create good food. And seeing my toddler drinking green smoothie.... could anything make me happier? lol!

Carrie™ said...

Roasted red pepper dip as a sauce? What a great idea!! Salad looks so good too. Off to read your interview. Have a great weekend & Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

Find more Roasted Red Pepper Pasta in my recipe blog search:
HERE

vaginoplasty said...

i agree.. the pasta truly is appetizing and healthy. a must-try dish!

-regain self-confidence thru vaginoplasty...